The way I look at this is that if we can make an excuse to pound back a couple shots of vodka masked with tomato juice for breakfast, we should be allowed to eat cookies for breakfast, too!! It just makes sense.
I made these with the intention of eating all two dozen by myself…. but after smelling them bake in the oven, I could help but share with my friends. I brought them to work, and needless to say, these were devoured almost instantaneously. Next time you go to friends brunch gathering, bring these. Just make sure to keep a couple (dozen) for yourself!
Makes a healthy two dozenish
Total Time: 1 hr 2 min
Prep: 15 min
Inactive: 35 min
Cook: 12 min
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon Bitter Truth Celery Bitters (or celery extract)
1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
3 tablespoon fresh tomato juice
1/2 cup cooked bacon (chopped)
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Place butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stop the mixer occasionally and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg, molasses, celery bitters, vodka, tabasco sauce, lime juice, and tomato juice then beat on medium speed for one minute more.
- Add the medium bowl of flour into the butter and sugar mixture. Beat on low speed until the dough begins to come together and the flour disappears. If necessary, stop the mixer and finish incorporating the ingredients with a spatula.
- Once all the flour is thoroughly mixed in, fold in bacon.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place a rack in the center and upper third of the over and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Dollop tablespoons size balls of dough onto the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle cracked ground pepper over each dough ball.
- Zest a lime over each dough ball.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Eat Cookies.